smaller CLASS SIZE
Reducing class size is one of the few strategies that has been shown to increase learning for all students. Yet schools across the country have seen increases in class size in recent years.
In New York City, we have class size limits because of the teachers’ union contract. These limits are as follows:
- Pre-Kindergarten: 18 students with a teacher and a paraprofessional
- Kindergarten: 25 students
- Grades 1-6 in elementary schools: 32 students by contract
- Junior High School / Middle School (all grades 4 – 8 or 5 – 9, if located in a middle school, then middle school class size applies): 33 students in non-Title I schools; 30 in Title I schools.
- High School: 34 students; 50 in Physical Education/Gym.
In 2007 the Contracts for Excellence law required to reduce NYC class size as follows, but these targets were never met, making NYC out of compliance with this law.
- Kindergarten - Grade 3: 20 students
- Grades 4-8: 23 students
- Grades 9-12: 25 students
Find out more at: classsizematters.org